To add a new blog post to the website, please CLICK HERE, and following these instructions:
- Enter your name – This will appear on the website so if you do not want your full name on the website, do not enter it here. You can enter part of your name (although it MUST be more than just a first or last name), or you may enter a pseudonym.
- Enter the desired title of your post – Anywhere from 2-8 words, descriptive of your content or clever, or both.
- Enter the tags, separated by commas (ex: green, energy, lights, bulb, winter break, fridge, power). Please enter anywhere from 3 to 10 tags about your post. This will make our content search engine friendly
- Select a category. Most of you should know the correct category, but if you do not, just select one and, in all capital letters before your post, type “PLEASE RECATEGORIZE THIS TO (enter correct category)!!!”
- Enter your post content. It’s ok that it is a small box, it will still all go through. On most browsers you should be able to drag the corner of the text box to make it bigger.
- If you would like to attach an image (or more), do so in the photo box below the content box.
- Submit the post with the post button
- E-mail Shawn (firstname.lastname@example.org) saying “new hillel post submitted”
Once I approve your first post, future ones should go through quickly with no need for the e-mail at the end. If the system detects spam, it may not go through right away in which case you will need to e-mail Shawn.
Changing the Hillel Calendar
- Hillel employees, student President, and VP should have access to the general Hillel google calendar. To update the calendar on this website, go to calendar.google.com and change the Hillel calendar (ensure that it is the Hillel and not your own personal calendar that you are updating). After saving, changes should be reflected on the website withing 5 seconds.
- To request access to edit the Hillel calendar, e-mail Shawn (email@example.com). Please be sure you have permission from the correct people (Staff, Prez, or VP) to edit the calendar.
Changing Rabbi Gordon’s Calander
- Those relevant staff members and students have access to Rabbi Yosi Gordon’s calendar. It will appear in RED when looking at this website, but may appear as a different color on your own calendar (calendar.google.com). Updating Yosi’s calendar will be reflected on the website withing 10 seconds of saving.
Posting in “Articles by Yosi
- Follow directions above titled “Bloggers” and select category “Post by Yosi”
Changing the Homepage Slider
- The slider on the homepage takes into account ONLY posts (not pages) that are categorized as “Slideshow.” It then displays the posts in order from top to bottom in chronological order from when they were posted, from newest on top, to oldest on bottom.
- Slideshow Display: Images should be approximately 775px by 246px (anything larger will be cut off). To add as the featured image, upload the image on the “Edit Page”, then click “show” after uploading, then scroll down and click “Set as Featured Image”
- The words shown on the slideshow are from the body of the post. To edit what words are shown, edit the post content.
- Edit the publish date (order of slides) in the “Publish” box in the top right corner
- The uJews website automatically reviews every link on the website every 72 hours, and lists all broken links or timed-out redirects under “Tools” > “Broken Links”
- To fix the broken link, you can unlink the text (so it no longer is a link), or change the destination URL. To change the URL, find the correct destination URL, and click “change URL” below the listed link.
- Once the URLs have been corrected, select all broken links, and under the “Bulk Actions” drop down, select “Recheck” and click “Apply”
- NOTE that once links are rechecked, it may take up to 60 seconds for the website to recheck the broken links and list them as fixed
- IF links are reported as broken but don’t appear in the broken link que, please e-mail Shawn, and go directly to the source (page or post) to correct that link.
Change Site Background
- If you are not an administrator on the website, e-mail Shawn or Mike Kann about updating the photo.
- If you are an administrator:
- Login to Dashboard
- Theme Settings
- Upload the Image under “Background Image” (NOTE that you much click “insert into post” after uploading the image)
- Note, unless the background image is very long, keep its position at “fixed”
- Keep the size of the background image small. Alyson and Shawn can shrink down sizes of photos without doing too much with the quality. JPEG files are smaller them BMP and often GIF.
- Background Position is center, and repeat should be set to “X” (horizontally)
Changing the Menu Bar
- Login to the admin dashboard. Top Menu Bar (maroon) is NOT dictated by page attributes (parent and child pages).
- Instead, pages are organized by the “Menus” option under appearance. Then click “Top Menu Bar” and you can drag over new menu items, change names, or link to outside websites.
Photo Albums and Slideshows
- uJews uses Picasa Web Albums to display photo slideshows. Login with the e-mail “firstname.lastname@example.org” and the typical Hillel password.
- Upload photos, share them, get the embed code and put them in a page or widget to display.